Vegetarian - Mushroom and Groat Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
(Goła Ki Z Kaszą Gryczaną i Pieczarkami)
1 head of cabbage
1.8 oz (50 g) dried mushrooms
1 cup (150 g) buckwheat groats
2 hardboiled eggs
2 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper
1. In advance, soak the dried mushrooms in cold water for about 2 hours, then cook them in the same water until they turn soft. Set the water aside and finely dice the mushrooms.
2. In a large pot, submerge the whole cabbage head in boiling water, and cook on low heat for about 5–10 minutes. Take the cabbage out, let it cool, then carefully peel off the cabbage leaves. Put aside a couple of the outermost leaves; they will be used to cover the baking dish.
3. Prepare the filling: finely dice the onions and lightly fry them with some butter. Finely dice the eggs and mix them with the mushrooms, onion, and cooked groats, adding in parsley, salt, and pepper to taste.
4. Place about a third cup of filling in the center of each cabbage leaf, then fold two opposite sides of the leaf about 1 inch (2.5 cm) towards the center, and roll the leaf from the third side to the opposite end.
5. Fill the bottom of an ovenproof baking dish with the leftover mushroom water, cover with one layer of single cabbage leaves, and place the cabbage rolls tightly side by side, adding some butter on top if desired. Place one layer of single cabbage leaves on top and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 45 minutes.