This highly nutritious, elegant pâté is low in fat and very quick to prepare.
225g/8oz canned red or pink salmon, drained
150g/5oz low fat curd cheese
Few drops lemon juice
Pinch of ground mace, or ground nutmeg
Ľ tsp Tabasco sauce
Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
2 tbsps 1% fat fromage frais, or low-fat natural yoghurt
4 small gherkins
Preparation time: 15 minutes
1. Remove any bones and skin from the salmon. In a bowl, work the fish into a smooth paste with the back of a spoon.
2. Beat the curd cheese until it is smooth.
3. Add the salmon, lemon juice, seasonings, and fromage frais or natural yoghurt to the curd cheese, and mix well until thoroughly incorporated.
4. Divide the mixture equally between 4 individual ramekins. Smooth the surfaces carefully.
5. Slice each gherkin lengthways, 4 or 5 times, making sure that you do not cut completely through the gherkin at the narrow end. Splay the cut ends into a fan, and use these to decorate the tops of the salmon pâté in the ramekins.