Chocolate Pecan Pie
200g / 7oz / 1 ¾ cups plain flour
75ml/5 tbsp caster sugar
90g/3 ½ oz/scant ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
Finely grated rind of 1 orange
FOR THE FILLING
200g / 7oz / ¾ cup golden syrup
45ml/3 tbsp soft light muscovado sugar
150g/5oz plain chocolate, chopped into small pieces
50g/2oz/ ¼ cup butter
3 eggs, beaten
5ml/1 tsp vanilla essence
175g/6oz/1 ½ cups pecan nuts
1. Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Work in the butter evenly with your fingertips until combined.
2. Beat the egg and orange rind in a bowl, then stir into the mixture to make firm dough. Add a little water if the mixture is too dry, and knead briefly.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a deep, 20 cm/8 in loose-based flan tin. Chill for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Make the filling. Melt the syrup, sugar, chocolate and butter in a small saucepan.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat and beat in the eggs and vanilla essence. Sprinkle the pecan nuts into the pastry case and carefully pour over the chocolate mixture.
6. Place the tin on a baking sheet and bake the pie for 50-60 minutes or until the filling is set. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove the sides to serve. Serve plain, or with a little single cream.